Alien Registration Guidelines

A foreigner (“alien”) meeting any of the criteria below must register at an Immigration Office within 90 days from the date of entry into the Republic of Korea: 

  • A foreigner who plans to stay for more than 90 days from the date of entry
  • A foreigner who has lost his/her Korean nationality upon the acquisition of foreign nationality
  • A foreigner who plans to stay for more than 90 days from the date on which his/her status was granted after being born in Korea

The following categories do not need to register at an Immigration Office:

  • Diplomats, foreign government officials and their family members, in accordance with the international agreements (A-1, A-2, and A-3)
  • Foreigners who are engaged in tasks such as diplomacy, industrial development, and national defense, along with their family members
  • Foreigners who are granted exemption by the Minister of Justice
  • Foreigners from Canada, planning to stay less than 6 months, who fall under the qualification of Korean Arts and Culture (D-1), Religious Worker (D-6), Family Visitor (F-1), Dependent Family (F-3), or Miscellaneous (G-1)

Alien Registration Application

A foreigner must register at an Immigration Office that falls under the jurisdictional area of his / her residence. 

The timelines for applying for the Alien Registration are:

  • For foreigners planning to stay more than 90 days: within 90 days from the date of entry
  • For foreigners who have requested a change of status of stay: immediately upon receiving permission to change the status 

Every Alien Registration Application must include:

  • Passport
  • Application Form (no 34)
  • One 3.5x4.5 cm Color Photo
  • KRW 30,000 (~USD 30) processing fee
  • Additional supporting documents based on visa type*

*Please refer to Hikorea official website for details

Obligations of Registered Aliens

Once an Alien Registration Card has been obtained, foreigners must:

  • Carry passport and Alien Registration Card at all times
  • Present his / her passport and card upon request of an immigration officer or anyone of similar authority

Foreigners who do not comply with the above regulations may be punished. 

Foreigners must communicate any change in his / her alien registration information and submit their passport, including:

  • Change of name, gender, date of birth, or nationality
  • Change in passport number, expiry date, or date of issuance
  • Change in affiliated organization or department of a foreigner with status of Korean Arts and Culture (D-1), Student (D-2), General Trainee (D-4), Long-term News Coverage (D-5), Religious Worker (D-6), Intra-Company Transferee (D-7), Corporate / Foreign Investor (D-8), or International Trade (D-9)

Employment Status Holders

Foreigners in possession of employment status may only work for their assigned jobs.

Eligible statuses for employment are: Short-term Employee (C-4), Professor (E-1), Foreign Language Instructor (E-2), Researcher (E-3), Technical Instructor/Technician (E-4), Professional (E-5), Arts/Athlete (E-6), Foreign National of Special Ability (E-7), Non-Professional (E-9), Maritime Crew (E-10), Resident (F-2), Overseas Korean (F-4), Permanent Resident (F-5), Marriage Migrant (F-6), Working Holiday (H-1), and Work and Visit (H-2).

Working for an employer other than the ones stated on the visa application form, without receiving prior permission from or without reporting in advance to the Immigration Office, is considered a violation of the terms and conditions of the visa.

For any change in employer, work location etc., the foreigner must check the procedures from the Immigration Office or the Immigration Contact Center (1345) and file a report or apply for a waiver.